This GivingTuesday, drive innovation forward.
We are delighted to announce that our wig lending and breast accessory service is returning on August 17, 2020. We know how valuable this program is in helping someone with cancer regain a sense of self and build resilience.
- To request hair or breast accessories or request or return a wig, please call our Cancer Information Helpline at 1-888-939-3333.
- An information specialist will discuss your wig requirements and preferences, do their best to find a match and arrange delivery. They can also help you return a wig.
- At this time, we cannot lend breast prostheses because they must be tried on in person to ensure the right fit. But we can help send out breast accessories, such as puffs. These do not need to be returned to us.
- All staff and volunteers have been trained in enhanced cleaning and hygiene to make sure wigs and breast accessories are delivered in their cleanest state.
- We have also worked with public health officials to make sure the delivery process meets current health and safety requirements and takes all necessary steps to prevent possible COVID-19 exposure.
Supportive Care in PEI aims to provide a holistic approach to all Islanders living with cancer. The program focuses on understanding an individual’s overall needs to determine how best the Society can support you on your cancer journey.
Staff and volunteers will:
- provide information on relevant resources to patients and families
- empower you to advocate for the services and supports you need
- advocate on your behalf, if needed
- in some cases, provide funding support with cancer-related expenses
When staff or volunteers of the Canadian Cancer Society in PEI first talk with you, they will learn more about your immediate needs or interests and the nature of any barriers encountered. They will help to connect you with appropriate resources and make a plan to address barriers, if needed. Recognizing that situations and needs are always changing, program staff and volunteers can be part of your cancer journey, planning regular contact with you as appropriate.
While we work to ensure those affected by a cancer diagnosis can access the resources best suited for them and that we do not duplicate government programs, financial support is available to some cancer patients.
Phone: 902 566-4007 or toll-free 1-866-566-4007
Additional information can be found in our Community Services Locator.