The Canadian Cancer Society is currently experiencing technical issues on our phone lines. If you are unable to reach us through our phone lines, please connect through ‘Live Chat’, and an agent will be more than happy to assist you.
Move more, sit less
Working out in a gym or playing a sport is great, but being active is about so much more than that. Think of it as how you can use your muscles more in your everyday life. If you drive to work, sit at a desk all day and use all the conveniences of modern life, you probably need to move more.
Making the time to be active with our busy lives can be challenging, but start with 10 minutes and try to build up to at least half an hour of activity a day. Some activity is better than none. And if you spend a lot of time sitting, set reminders to stand up and stretch.
When you think of your day in these terms, it’s easier to get active – it doesn’t have to be expensive or inconvenient. And regular physical activity can help control weight, boost your mood and improve sleep too!
Read these articles to learn how much physical activity you need and great ways to do it!
- Physical activity can protect you from which type of cancer?
- How many cancer cases are due to physical inactivity?
- How much physical activity should adults get daily?
- How much physical activity should children get daily?
- Fun ways to be active every day without going to a gym
- 6 ways to inspire an active lifestyle in your child
Read more about why you should avoid sitting.