Questions to ask about supportive care
The following are questions that you can ask the healthcare team about supportive care. Choose the questions that fit your, or your child’s, situation and add questions of your own. You may find it helpful to take the list to the next appointment and to write down the answers.
- Is a special diet needed after treatment? Who can help answer questions about diet and nutrition?
- Will an exercise program help after cancer? Who can help design an exercise program?
- What can be done to reduce the risk of the cancer coming back?
- Is there a risk for developing other cancers? If so, what can reduce the risk?
- Will there be any long-term side effects after treatment? What are they? How long will they last?
- Are there counsellors available to help with physical, emotional or sexual problems?
- Is there peer support available?
- Is there support available for children, partners or friends?
- What kind of financial assistance is available?
- Are there services available for help at home? How is this arranged?