CCS adapting to COVID-19 realities to support Canadians during and after the pandemic
We are delighted that our wig lending and breast accessory service returned on August 17, 2020. We know how valuable this program is in helping someone with cancer regain a sense of self and build resilience.
- To request hair or breast accessories or request or return a wig, please call our Cancer Information Helpline at 1-888-939-3333.
- An information specialist will discuss your wig requirements and preferences, do their best to find a match and arrange delivery. They can also help you return a wig.
- At this time, we cannot lend breast prostheses because they must be tried on in person to ensure the right fit. But we can help send out breast accessories, such as puffs. These do not need to be returned to us.
- All staff and volunteers have been trained in enhanced cleaning and hygiene to make sure wigs and breast accessories are delivered in their cleanest state.
- We have also worked with public health officials to make sure the delivery process meets current health and safety requirements and takes all necessary steps to prevent possible COVID-19 exposure.
The Canadian Cancer Society NL Division offers practical support to people with cancer by providing:
- temporary breast prostheses
- mastectomy exercise kits
All items are free and are available at all of our local regional offices.
Our Living Room
Items are also available at Our Living Room, a Society resource room conveniently located in the Dr H. Bliss Murphy Cancer Clinic in St John’s. In this quiet and considerate atmosphere, people with cancer can receive practical assistance and emotional support from our trained volunteers and staff. Call Our Living Room at 709-777-7791 or call the Society at 709-753-6520 for hours of operation as they may vary throughout the week.
For information on how to volunteer at Our Living Room, contact our provincial office at 709-753-6520 or toll-free at 1-888-753-6520.
Volunteering with the Society
We rely on the donations of turbans and head coverings from generous volunteers who give their time and talent to create these items. If you are interested in helping with our practical support program, contact your regional Society office.