Financial help

If you have stopped working because of COVID-19, the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) may provide you with temporary income support. You may also qualify for other nationwide or regional financial support programs.

  • Are you eligible?

    Travel Treatment Fund

    You may not apply to the fund if you already have coverage for travel and accommodations through the following programs:

    • BC Employment and Assistance (i.e., Social Assistance ): 1-866-866-0800

    • BC Assistance for Persons with Disabilities (i.e., PWD): 1-866-866-0800

    • Veterans Affairs Canada:  1-866-522-2122

    • First Nations and Inuit Health (i.e., Non-Insured Health Benefits): 1-800-317-7878

    • Extended health benefits and disability insurance 

    * contact information specific to each plan

    Depending on the distance you must travel to cancer treatment, CCS offers different levels of travel allowance per year.

    If you are eligible for the fund, you will receive your money once a year. When the payment is issued depends on when you applied to the fund. The direct deposit must be issued to the person who applied to the fund, with one exception if the client is a child we can issue the payment to the adult guardian.

    To learn more about what you may be eligible for, please call our Cancer Information Service.

    Financial Support Drug Program

    As of June 1, 2020, the Financial Support Drug Program (FSDP) is not accepting new patients. Patients who are already enrolled will continue to be supported until further notice. BC Cancer may still be able to help cover some of the costs of prescription medicines that manage your symptoms related to cancer treatment. For more information, contact Patient and Family Counselling at the BC Cancer regional centre closest to you.