Reduce cancer risk – what you can do
About half of all cancers can be prevented through healthy living and policies that protect the health of Canadians. The good news is you can reduce your risk of cancer right now. There’s no time like the present to start making positive lifestyle changes to feel better and live longer.
Follow these recommendations and help reduce your cancer risk.
Live well. Make healthy choices.
- Be a non-smoker and avoid second-hand smoke.
- Keep a healthy body weight.
- Eat well.
- Move more and sit less.
- Limit alcohol.
- Protect your skin. Be safe in the sun and don’t use tanning beds or lamps.
Be aware. Make informed decisions.
- Check your family’s cancer history.
- Understand how hormones and infections affect your cancer risk.
- Get rid of or reduce harmful substances at home.
- Learn how to protect yourself from harmful substances at work.
Look after yourself and help find cancer early.
My favourite thing about Camp Goodtime is being able to hang out with other kids who have survived cancer. They know what is going on in your life and can help you get through it.
Funding world-class research
Cancer affects all Canadians but together we can reduce the burden by investing in research and prevention efforts. Learn about the impact of our funded research.