Help save lives this holiday season
Reduce cancer risk – what you can do
About half of all cancers can be prevented through healthy living and policies that protect the health of Canadians. The good news is you can reduce your risk of cancer right now. There’s no time like the present to start making positive lifestyle changes to feel better and live longer.
Follow these recommendations and help reduce your cancer risk.
Live well. Make healthy choices.
- Be a non-smoker and avoid second-hand smoke.
- Keep a healthy body weight.
- Eat well.
- Move more and sit less.
- Limit alcohol.
- Protect your skin. Be safe in the sun and don’t use tanning beds or lamps.
Be aware. Make informed decisions.
- Check your family’s cancer history.
- Understand how hormones and infections affect your cancer risk.
- Get rid of or reduce harmful substances at home.
- Learn how to protect yourself from harmful substances at work.
Look after yourself and help find cancer early.
Volunteering with the Canadian Cancer Society opened my eyes to just how much work they do for people fighting cancer.
Providing rides to cancer treatment
For more than 50 years, the Canadian Cancer Society’s transportation program has enabled patients to focus their energy on fighting cancer and not on worrying about how they will get to treatment.