Donate your hair
Since 2006, Pantene has partnered with the Canadian Cancer Society (CCS) and the American Cancer Society through the Beautiful Lengths program to encourage people to donate their hair so that real-hair wigs could be made for cancer patients. Pantene Beautiful Lengths accepts the hair donations, then creates, ships and donates real-hair wigs to Canadian Cancer Society wig banks across the country. There is no cost to CCS or to the individuals who receive these wigs.
In recent years, synthetic-hair technology has vastly improved, giving synthetic hair wigs more of a “real-hair” feel, making them lighter and cooler to wear and easier to style. Due to these advancements, patients have shared that synthetic wigs are the preferred wig choice for many. This change in patient needs has resulted in decreased demand for real-hair wigs and as a result Pantene has decided to gradually phase out the Pantene Beautiful Lengths campaign in Canada and the US.
As a result, hair donations will no longer be accepted by the Pantene Beautiful Lengths program after December 31, 2018. Through the passion and generosity of donors, we are pleased to share that Pantene is committed to continuing to provide the Canadian Cancer Society with our full real-hair wig needs until 2022.
We recognize that many people feel that donating their hair is a meaningful and tangible way to support someone in their cancer journey. We are looking for new options for those who wish to donate their hair. In the meantime, if you would still like to support women living with cancer, we encourage you to donate your time or make a financial donation.
Hair donation instructions
Preparing your hair:
- Hair must be a minimum 8 inches in length
- Hair must be clean, dry and not swept off the floor
- Hair should not be chemically treated (bleach, colour or perm)
- Hair must be no more than 5% grey
Making the cut:
- Clean, shampoo and/or condition hair, without any styling, hairspray or additional hair products.
- Gather hair at the nape of the neck.
- Create a ponytail with an elastic band. Make sure the band is tight around the hair to keep the hair together after cutting. If it comes out of the band, it won’t be included in the donation. A second hair band can be placed around the middle of the ponytail to keep the hair together.
- Ensure that the elastic band is just below where you want to cut your hair.
- Measure the length of the ponytail from the elastic band to the tips, making sure it’s at least 8 inches long. Donations shorter than 8 inches will not be used, because this is too short for making a wig. If your hair is not 8 inches, continue growing it out. There is no maximum length requirement.
- Cut the hair just above the elastic band so that the elastic band remains on the ponytail after cutting and keeps cut hair together. Do not wash or style the ponytail in any way after it has been cut off.
- Place the ponytail, kept intact with the elastic band, in a zipper-lock bag and seal tightly. Please ensure that the ponytail is completely dry before sending.
- Place the plastic bag with the ponytail in a padded or plastic envelope and before December 31, 2018, send it to:
PANTENE BEAUTIFUL LENGTHS
2-1055 MIDDLEGATE RD
MISSISSAUGA ON L4Y 3Y4
Include your name and address if you would like to receive acknowledgement of your donation.
Within about 12 hours of being at Camp Goodtime, everything started to change, and that week was cathartic, transformative. It was the first time I got to know myself.
What’s the lifetime risk of getting cancer?
The latest Canadian Cancer Statistics report shows about half of Canadians are expected to be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime.