Donate your hair
Thinking about donating your hair to help make wigs for women who have lost their hair as a result of cancer treatment? This simple act of generosity makes a world of difference to women with cancer. It takes 8 to 15 ponytails to create 1 real-hair wig. This is why your support is so important.
Procter & Gamble Canada, in partnership with the Canadian Cancer Society, launched the Pantene Beautiful Lengths campaign in 2007. Thanks to thousands of generous Canadians from coast to coast, over 70,000 ponytails have been donated and made into wigs to help women living with cancer regain their confidence and sense of self.
Pantene Beautiful Lengths accepts hair donations, then creates, ships and donates real-hair wigs to Canadian Cancer Society wig banks across Canada. There is no cost to the Society or to the individuals who receive these wigs. Please consider sending your hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths as a meaningful way to support someone on a cancer journey.
If you’re thinking about donating your hair, here’s how it works:
Preparing your hair:
- Hair must be a minimum 8 inches in length
- Hair must be clean, dry and not swept off the floor
- Hair should not be chemically treated (bleach, colour or perm)
- Hair must be no more than 5% gray
Making the cut:
- Clean, shampoo and/or condition hair, without any styling, hairspray or additional hair products.
- Gather hair at the nape of the neck.
- Create a ponytail with an elastic band. Make sure the band is tight around the hair to keep the hair together after cutting. If it comes out of the band, it won’t be included in the donation. A second hair band can be placed around the middle of the ponytail to keep the hair together.
- Ensure that the elastic band is just below where you want to cut your hair.
- Measure the length of the ponytail from the elastic band to the tips, making sure it’s at least 8 inches long. Donations shorter than 8 inches will not be used, because this is too short for making a wig. If your hair is not 8 inches, continue growing it out. There is no maximum length requirement.
- Cut the hair just above the elastic band so that the elastic band remains on the ponytail after cutting and keeps cut hair together. Do not wash or style the ponytail in any way after it has been cut off.
- Place the ponytail, kept intact with the elastic band, in a zipper-lock bag and seal tightly. Please ensure that the ponytail is completely dry before sending.
- Place the plastic bag with the ponytail in a padded or plastic envelope and send to:
PANTENE BEAUTIFUL LENGTHS
2-1055 MIDDLEGATE RD
MISSISSAUGA ON L4Y 3Y4
Include your name and address if you would like to receive acknowledgement of your donation.
Turn your hair donation into a fundraising event, raising funds to help change cancer forever. We’ve made it easy for you to organize your own event.
I was staying in St. John’s all by my lonesome because my wife was too sick to travel with me. Daffodil Place was my lifeline.
Establishing a national caregivers strategy
The Canadian Cancer Society is actively lobbying the federal government to establish a national caregivers strategy to ensure there is more financial support for this important group of people.