Symptoms of Wilms tumour
Wilms tumour may not cause any signs or symptoms in its early stages. The kidneys are deep in the body and do not have very many nerves, so these tumours may grow without causing pain or discomfort. Symptoms appear once the tumour grows into surrounding tissues and organs.Other health conditions can cause the same symptoms as Wilms tumour.
Symptoms of Wilms tumours include:
- a painless lump in or swelling of the abdomen
- pain in the abdomen
- blood in the urine, which is called hematuria
- high blood pressure
- upset stomach
- weight loss
- loss of appetite
- veins across the abdomen that appear larger than normal, or distended
- feeling generally unwell or weak
- shortness of breath (if cancer has spread to the lungs)
Even though we are high school students, we were able to raise so much money for the Canadian Cancer Society. It just goes to show what can happen when a small group of people come together for a great cause.
Facing the financial burden of cancer
The Canadian Cancer Society provides helpful information about government income programs, financial resources and other resources available to families struggling to make sense of the personal financial burden they face.