Symptoms of Wilms tumour
Wilms tumour may not cause any signs or symptoms in its early stages. The kidneys are deep in the body and do not have very many nerves, so these tumours may grow without causing pain or discomfort. Symptoms appear once the tumour grows into surrounding tissues and organs.Other health conditions can cause the same symptoms as Wilms tumour.
Symptoms of Wilms tumours include:
- a painless lump in or swelling of the abdomen
- pain in the abdomen
- blood in the urine, which is called hematuria
- high blood pressure
- upset stomach
- weight loss
- loss of appetite
- veins across the abdomen that appear larger than normal, or distended
- feeling generally unwell or weak
- shortness of breath (if cancer has spread to the lungs)
My favourite thing about Camp Goodtime is being able to hang out with other kids who have survived cancer. They know what is going on in your life and can help you get through it.
Taking action against all cancers
The latest Canadian Cancer Statistics report found that of all newly diagnosed cancers in 2017, half are expected to be lung, colorectal, breast and prostate cancers. Learn what you can do to reduce the burden of cancer.