Double your impact this holiday season
Symptoms of Wilms tumour
Wilms tumour may not cause any signs or symptoms in its early stages. The kidneys are deep in the body and do not have very many nerves, so these tumours may grow without causing pain or discomfort. Symptoms appear once the tumour grows into surrounding tissues and organs.Other health conditions can cause the same symptoms as Wilms tumour.
Symptoms of Wilms tumours include:
- a painless lump in or swelling of the abdomen
- pain in the abdomen
- blood in the urine, which is called hematuria
- high blood pressure
- upset stomach
- weight loss
- loss of appetite
- veins across the abdomen that appear larger than normal, or distended
- feeling generally unwell or weak
- shortness of breath (if cancer has spread to the lungs)
Within about 12 hours of being at Camp Goodtime, everything started to change, and that week was cathartic, transformative. It was the first time I got to know myself.
Funding world-class research
Cancer affects all Canadians but together we can reduce the burden by investing in research and prevention efforts. Learn about the impact of our funded research.