Help save lives this holiday season
Treatment of stage I penile cancer
The following are treatment options for stage I penile cancer. The types of treatments given are based on the unique needs of the person with cancer.
Surgery is the primary treatment for stage I penile cancer. The types of surgery are:
- wide local excision
- The tumour is removed along with a margin of normal tissue around it.
- Mohs surgery
- partial or total penectomy, with or without lymph node removal
- laser surgerylaser surgeryA surgical technique that uses a laser (an intense beam of light) to make bloodless cuts in tissue.
- Laser surgery may be offered as part of a clinical trial.
Radiation therapy may be offered for stage I penile cancer in men who do not wish to have surgery. The types of radiation therapy are:
- external beam radiation therapy
Men with penile cancer may be offered the opportunity to participate in clinical trials. For more information, go to clinical trials.
It has been easy to support the Canadian Cancer Society. Each one of us has been personally touched in some manner by cancer.
Celebrating cancer survivors at Relay For Life
For cancer survivors, the Canadian Cancer Society provides a unique opportunity to celebrate their courage in the fight against cancer. During hundreds of Relay For Life events across the country, thousands of survivors join together for the Survivors’ Victory Lap.