VOLUNTEERS ARE URGENTLY NEEDED IN APRIL
Treatment of stage I penile cancer
The following are treatment options for stage I penile cancer. The types of treatments given are based on the unique needs of the person with cancer.
Surgery is the primary treatment for stage I penile cancer. The types of surgery are:
- wide local excision
- The tumour is removed along with a margin of normal tissue around it.
- Mohs surgery
- partial or total penectomy, with or without lymph node removal
- laser surgerylaser surgeryA surgical technique that uses a laser (an intense beam of light) to make bloodless cuts in tissue.
- Laser surgery may be offered as part of a clinical trial.
Radiation therapy may be offered for stage I penile cancer in men who do not wish to have surgery. The types of radiation therapy are:
- external beam radiation therapy
Men with penile cancer may be offered the opportunity to participate in clinical trials. For more information, go to clinical trials.