Treatment of stage 0 penile cancer
The following are treatment options for stage 0 penile cancer. Stage 0 penile cancer includes carcinoma in situcarcinoma in situA very early stage of cancer in which tumour cells have not yet invaded surrounding tissues. and verrucous carcinoma. The types of treatments given are based on the unique needs of the person with cancer.
Surgery is the primary treatment for stage 0 penile cancer. The types of surgery are:
- Mohs surgery
- wide local excision
- The tumour is removed along with a margin of normal tissue around it.
- laser surgerylaser surgeryA surgical technique that uses a laser (an intense beam of light) to make bloodless cuts in tissue.
- cryosurgerycryosurgeryA procedure that uses extreme cold (liquid nitrogen or liquid carbon dioxide) to freeze and destroy abnormal tissue.
Topical chemotherapy may be offered for stage 0 penile cancer. A cream is applied directly to the abnormal area. The type of topical chemotherapy used is:
- 5-fluorouracil (Adrucil, 5-FU)
Topical biological therapy may be offered for stage 0 penile cancer. A cream is applied directly to the abnormal area. The type of topical biological therapy used is:
- 5% imiquimod (Aldara) cream
Radiation therapy is rarely offered for stage 0 penile cancer. It may be used in men who do not wish to have surgery. The types of radiation therapy are:
- external beam radiation therapy
Men with penile cancer may be offered the opportunity to participate in clinical trials. For more information, go to clinical trials.