If mesothelioma spreads
Cancer cells can spread from the mesothelium to other parts of the body. This spread is called metastasis.
Understanding how a type of cancer usually grows and spreads helps your healthcare team plan your treatment and future care.
If pleural mesothelioma spreads, it can spread to the:
- space in the chest between the lungs (mediastinum)
- windpipe (trachea)
- muscles and ribs of the chest
- opposite lung
- thin muscle below the lungs and heart (diaphragm)
- lymph nodes of the chest
- kidneys and adrenal glands
If peritoneal mesothelioma spreads, it can spread to:
- the tissue covering the small intestine and colon
- the space between the lungs and the walls of the chest
- the liver
- the spleen
- other organs in the abdomen
Peritoneal mesothelioma rarely spreads outside of the abdomen.
It was very important that the fundraiser be in honour of my uncle, because it’s a great way to show our support for him.
Together we can reduce the burden of cancer
Last year, we only had the resources available to fund 40% of high-priority research projects. Imagine the impact we could have if we were able to fund 100%.