The conjunctiva is the mucous membrane on the surface of the eyeball and the inside surface of the eyelid. The 3 main types of conjunctival tumours are:
- squamous cell carcinoma
- This is the most common tumour of the conjunctiva.
- Other types of carcinomas can occur in the conjunctiva, such as basal cell carcinoma or mucoepidermoid carcinoma, but these are not very common.
- Melanoma of the conjunctiva is an uncommon cancer.
- Ocular lymphoma can affect conjunctiva of the eye.
- Lymphoma of the conjunctiva is an uncommon cancer.
Clinical trial discovery improves quality of life
A clinical trial led by the Society’s NCIC Clinical Trials group found that men with prostate cancer who are treated with intermittent courses of hormone therapy live as long as those receiving continuous therapy.