Questions to ask about laser surgery
The following are questions that you can ask the healthcare team about laser surgery. Choose the questions that fit your, or your child’s, situation and add questions of your own. You may find it helpful to take the list to the next appointment and to write down the answers.
- What is laser surgery?
- What are the benefits and risks of laser surgery?
- When will laser surgery be given? Is there a waiting list for laser surgery?
- What type of laser surgery will be given?
- How is laser surgery given? How often will it be given? How long will the treatments take?
- Where will laser surgery take place?
- Does laser surgery require a hospital stay? If so, for how long?
- Can a support person (such as a partner, parent or friend) stay during laser surgery?
- What are the chances it will be successful? When will we know?
- Is any preparation needed for laser surgery?
- Will other treatments (like photodynamic therapy) be used at the same time as laser surgery?
- Are any immunizations or vaccinations needed before laser surgery starts?
- What are possible side effects of laser surgery? When would they start? How long do they usually last?
- Which side effects should I report right away? Who do I call?
- What can be done to treat side effects?
- Is a special diet needed?
- Are there special things that I should or should not do before or after laser surgery?
- Will laser surgery affect usual activities? If so, for how long?
- Will there be other treatments after laser surgery? If so, what kind?
- When are follow-up visits scheduled? Who is responsible for follow-up after laser surgery?
Together we can reduce the burden of cancer
Last year, we only had the resources available to fund 40% of high-priority research projects. Imagine the impact we could have if we were able to fund 100%.