Make an impact in your community by donating or registering for Relay For Life.
Questions to ask about hormonal therapy
The following are questions that you can ask the healthcare team about hormonal therapy. Choose the questions that fit your situation and add questions of your own. You may find it helpful to take the list to the next appointment and to write down the answers.
- What is hormonal therapy?
- What are the benefits and risks of hormonal therapy?
- What type of hormonal therapy will I be given?
- What are the brand and generic names of the drug(s)? What is the correct spelling?
- How is hormonal therapy given? How often? Over what period of time?
- What are the chances it will be successful? When will we know?
- What can I do to prepare for hormonal therapy?
- What tests are done during hormonal therapy?
- Will other treatments (like radiation therapy or chemotherapy) be used at the same time?
- Will the drug(s) interact with any over-the-counter drugs (for example, Tylenol) or vitamins?
- What are possible side effects of hormonal therapy? When would they start? How long do they usually last?
- What side effects should I report right away? Who do I call?
- What can be done to treat side effects?
- Is a special diet needed? Are there any foods that interact with the hormonal therapy drugs?
- Are there special things that I should or should not do during or after hormonal therapy?
- Will hormonal therapy affect my usual activities? If so, for how long?
- Will hormonal therapy affect my sex life? If so, how?
- Will there be other treatment after hormonal therapy? If so, what kind?
- When are follow-up visits scheduled? Who is responsible for follow-up after hormonal therapy?