Questions to ask about cryosurgery
The following are questions that you can ask the healthcare team about cryosurgery treatment. Choose the questions that fit your, or your child’s, situation and add questions of your own. You may find it helpful to take the list to the next appointment and to write down the answers.
- What is cryosurgery?
- What are the benefits and risks of cryosurgery?
- How is cryosurgery given? How often? How long will it take?
- Where will cryosurgery take place?
- Does cryosurgery require a hospital stay? If so, for how long?
- Can a support person (such as a partner, parent or friend) stay during cryosurgery?
- What are the chances it will be successful? When will we know?
- Is any preparation needed for cryosurgery?
- Will other treatments (like radiation therapy) be used at the same time as cryosurgery?
- What are possible side effects of cryosurgery? When would they start? How long do they usually last?
- Which side effects should I report right away? Who do I call?
- What can be done to treat side effects?
- Is a special diet needed?
- Are there special things that I should or should not do before or after cryosurgery?
- Will cryosurgery affect usual activities? If so, for how long?
- Will there be other treatments after cryosurgery? If so, what kind?
- When are follow-up visits scheduled? Who is responsible for follow-up after cryosurgery?
Funding world-class research
Cancer affects all Canadians but together we can reduce the burden by investing in research and prevention efforts. Learn about the impact of our funded research.