15 smart snacks for active lifestyles
Getting more physical activity each day also means choosing healthy snacks to help you be active at your best. Follow these tips and snack ideas to help make the most of your workout.
What you need to know:
- Have a small meal or snack a couple of hours before you exercise. This will keep you from getting too hungry and you’ll have the energy you need to be active.
- Good snacks include carbohydrate, a little protein and not too much fat.
- If you lift weights, having carbohydrates and a small amount of protein after you exercise may help you speed up recovery and build muscle tissue. Plain or chocolate milk or a soy beverage is a perfect recovery snack, providing fluid, carbohydrate, and protein.
- Stay hydrated before you exercise. Drink water, 100% juice, milk, soy beverages, even tea and coffee.
- Drink enough water during exercise to replace what you lose through sweat. This means sipping while you work out, not drinking gallons.
- Grab a glass of water after you exercise to help replace lost fluids.
Get snacking! Try a new one each day.
- plain or chocolate milk with a banana
- raw vegetables (carrots, cucumber, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes) with hummus
- English muffin topped with melted low fat cheese and apple slices
- low fat yogurt sprinkled with chopped walnuts
- a bag of homemade trail mix made with dry cereal, dried fruit, nuts and seeds
- stalk of celery filled with low fat cottage cheese
- plain popcorn
- small bran muffin
- slice of whole grain bread with peanut butter
- dry mixed cereal with a container of milk
- whole grain crackers with salsa
- melba toast with tuna
- unsweetened applesauce topped with sliced almonds
- hardboiled egg with a handful of grapes
- low-fat granola bar and a fruit cup
Source: Reprinted with permission courtesy of EatRight Ontario at www.eatrightontario.ca. Contact an EatRight Ontario Registered Dietitian for free nutrition advice at 1 877 510-5102 or send an e-mail at www.eatrightontario.ca.
Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter