The 2011 Canadian Cancer Society Relay For Life: Nearly $14 million raised through 82 Relay For Life events held throughout the province
05 July 2011
Depuis 10 ans : 248 418 inscriptions — 458 événements — 63 M$ amassés
The 82 Relay For Life events, recently held by the Canadian Cancer Society (CCS) in as many municipalities across Quebec, have raised $14,000,000 – a record performance! Funds raised through Relay For Life events will support the many CCS programs and services designed to provide direct benefits to people throughout Quebec.
Relay For Life is the leading fundraising event in the fight against cancer. Since it was first rolled out in Quebec 10 years ago, the event has raised a total of $63 million.
Above all, Relay For Life is a celebration of life and a community-based event for friends and family where participants: celebrate cancer survivors, remember loved ones, and fight back against thedisease in hopes of eradicating it forever. The event is a 12-hour long (7 PM to 7 AM) relay involving teams of 10 people who take turns moving around a track to raise funds to support the fight against cancer.
A few key figures for Relay For Life in Quebec in 2011:
- 52,347 participants took part in 82 events
- 263,691 luminaries were lit during the Luminary Ceremony as a tribute to people who have been affected by cancer
- 10,719 cancer survivors joined in the Survivors’ Lap
- 8,000 volunteers got involved in one way or another
- $14,000,000 was raised by the CCS to continue the fight against cancer
In the past 10 years, Relay For Life in Quebec has resulted in:
- 248,418 participants registering for the event
- 38,870 volunteers getting involved and ensuring the event’s success
- 458 events
- 1,257,891 luminaries being lit as part the Luminary Ceremony as a tribute to people affected by cancer
- 55,632 cancer survivors registering for the event and taking part in the Survivors’ Lap
- $63 million being raised in the fight against cancer
For information on Relay For Life, please visit www.cancer.ca or contact the Cancer Information Service at 1 888 939-3333. To make a donation: relayforlife.ca.
The Canadian Cancer Society is a national community-based organization of volunteers whose mission is the eradication of cancer and the enhancement of the quality of life of people living with cancer. When you want to know more about cancer, visit our website www.cancer.ca or call our toll-free, bilingual Cancer Information Service at 1 888 939-3333.