SUPPORT CANADIANS LIVING WITH CANCER
The Canadian Cancer Society was officially formed in 1938, but the seeds for the Society were planted back in 1929 when the Saskatchewan Medical Association formed the country’s first cancer committee.
This committee responded to growing concern by doctors that people were not aware of the signs of cancer. By the time people consulted a doctor, their cancer was advanced and their chances for survival were decreased. Cancer committees in other provincial medical associations followed, and in 1931 the Canadian Medical Association’s National Study Committee on Cancer was formed.
In 1935, the Governor General of Canada invited Canadians to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the coronation of George V by donating to the King George V Silver Jubilee Cancer Fund. The campaign successfully raised almost $500,000 by the end of the year.
In 1937, the National Study Committee recommended the formation of the Canadian Society for the Control of Cancer, and this new organization was officially launched the following year. We changed our name to the Canadian Cancer Society a few years later.
During our early years, we received most of our income from an annual grant from the Canadian Medical Association based on the interest of the King George V Silver Jubilee Fund.
In 1947, the National Cancer Institute of Canada now the Canadian Cancer Society Research Institute was formed through an agreement between the Canadian Cancer Society and the Department of National Health and Welfare. Since then, the Canadian Cancer Society and the Canadian Cancer Society Research Institute have worked towards a common goal while retaining their own identities and purposes.
Over the past three-quarters of a century, we’ve made incredible progress in the fight for life. To learn more about our accomplishments and history, visit our 75 greatest impact moments.
Beginnings of the Society in BC and the Yukon
The Canadian Cancer Society in British Columbia was also established in 1938.
Throughout the 1950s the Society grew and expanded its programs. In 1959 the BC Division amalgamated with the Yukon Division.
A pilot summer camp program, Camp Goodtimes was launched in 1985 led by an energetic volunteer committee. In 2004, on its 20th anniversary, Camp Goodtimes moved from the Sunshine Coast to a new location at the scenic Loon Lake in Maple Ridge.
Following the establishment of lodges in Vancouver, Victoria and Kelowna, a fourth lodge was opened in Prince George in March 2013.
The Society was successful in securing funding for the creation of a Chair in Cancer Primary Prevention at UBC in 2007. Dr Carolyn Gotay assumed the position of Chair in 2008. In 2010 an innovative Cancer Prevention Centre was established in partnership with UBC.
Cancer information in over a hundred languages
The Canadian Cancer Society’s Cancer Information Service (CIS) is Canada’s only national, bilingual, toll-free service that offers personalized comprehensive cancer information in over 100 languages.