News and announcements
Great Ride 'n' Stride in Oxford County!
Thank you to all of the organizers, participants and donors for making Great Ride 'n' Stride in Oxford County such a huge success. The four events, Tillsonburg, Norwich, Blandford-Blenheim and Thamesford raised over $16,900!!!
Relay For Life in Oxford County
Thank you to our participants, survivors, volunteers, sponsors and donors! We are thrilled to have raised over $252,000 through our three events in Tillsonburg, Woodstock and Ingersoll as we continue in our fight against cancer!
At the Canadian Cancer Society, we:
Stop cancer before it starts.
Stop cancer in its tracks.
Help those with cancer now.
In 2015, with your generous support, the Canadian Cancer Society Oxford Community Office:
Raised $604,742, which goes toward our mission of eradicating cancer and enhancing the quality of life of those living with cancer.
- 39 volunteer drivers drove over 70,295 km and completed 1,222 client trips.
Society drivers assisted 90 clients with rides to cancer related appointments.
12 families were assisted by our family-provided transportation assistance program.
11 peer support volunteers provided assistance to 14 clients, 6 group support facilitators provided support to 2 breast cancer support groups and 1 prostate cancer support group.
The generosity of our donors allow us to continue fighting back against cancer in our community and across Ontario. You fund research that is saving lives.
- Over $785,000 was invested in 9 cancer research projects in SW Ontario, specifically at the University of Western Ontario, University of Windsor & the Lawson Research Institute.
- Through its funding of the NCIC Clinical Trials Group, we supported 21 clinical trials in SW Ontario at the London Regional Cancer Program & the Windsor Regional Cancer Centre. These trials ensure that cancer patients in our community have access to the very best cancer care and can benefit from new research discoveries.
- Thanks to research, we been able to dramatically improve the 5-year survival rate from 25% in 1947 to over 60% today.
You support Ontarians through their cancer journey:
- Cancer Information Service provided answers to questions about all types of cancer and many other cancer-related topics to over 210 local people through our confidential, toll-free line @ 1-888-939-3333 in 2014. Information is also available online 24/7 at www.cancer.ca
- CancerConnection.ca provides 24/7 support from an online community of people living with cancer and their family and friends. More than 8,500 patients, caregivers, survivors and their families connected last year.
- Smokers’ Helpline offered support, advice and information to people about quitting tobacco use in 2014. Toll-free 1-877-513-5333 or www.smokershelpline.ca
- Brochures and Booklets on prevention, treatment and support are available for download from cancer.ca/publications or can be ordered through our toll-free number.
- Community Services Locator is a searchable directory of over 4,000 cancer-related services across Canada. cancer.ca/csl. For example in Oxford County, prosthetics are available at no charge.
- Cancer.ca offers up-to-date and credible information about many types of cancer and cancer-related information from prevention to end-of-life issues.
Upcoming fundraising events & campaigns
Consider becoming a Cancer Fighter by hosting your own fundraiser. You pick the fundraiser - Golf Tournament, sporting event, head shaving/hair cutting, concert, bake sale or your own creative idea - we'll help you make it happen! Contact Community Fundraising Specialist Liz Wismer-Van Meer at 519-537-5592 or email@example.com for more information or visit www.cancer.ca/fundraise to get started.
4th annual Cool Runnings Trail Race. Saturday, October 22, 2016 at Roth Park in Woodstock. Make an impact in the fight against cancer...and RUN with it! This fun and festive mixed-surface trail race offers a 5 km, 10 km and Kid Fun-Run (approx. 800m) for all skill level of runners. Whether this is your first race or 100th race, you'll love the beauty Roth Park and Burgess Park have to offer while running onto Pittock Dam and along the picturesque Thames River. Early bird registrations are open until Tuesday, September 13th, 2016 - 11:59 pm (ET). Sign up online now to save and get a head-start on your fundraising! www.cancer.ca/coolrunnings
Breast Cancer Awareness Month - Pink Ribbons. October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and the Canadian Cancer Society needs your support, to take action and fight breast cancer! We need volunteers to sell Pink Ribbons at locations in Oxford County Thursday September 29th thru to Saturday October 1st. If you're interested in volunteering or hosting a fundraiser (through your business or individually), call the Oxford County Community Office at 519-537-5592 and ask for Liz Wismer-Van Meer (Fundraising Specialist) or Kelly Jorgensen (Volunteer Engagement Coordinator).
Relay For Life Committee Members
- if you want to make a difference in the fight against cancer and help those in your community living with cancer, consider joining the Relay For Life Committee in Tillsonburg, Woodstock or Ingersoll. Whether it's the planning stages, set-up, event day or clean-up...an hour a week or an hour a month, we have a number of areas we could use your help! For more information, please contact Kelly Jorgensen at firstname.lastname@example.org
or 519-537-5592 ext. 3954.
Cool Runnings Trail Race
- volunteers are needed to assist with marshalling, parking, registration, food and set-up/clean-up. If you are interested in volunteering for this fun event, call or email Kelly Jorgensen at 519-537-5592 ext. 3954 or email@example.com
Sign up for Volunteer opportunities online, any time at: http://vhub.at/OxfordCounty
Daryl and Lynda Coles of Tillsonburg share how together with Sunbeam Canada, we are helping them stay warm during these cold winter months.