Great Ride 'n' Stride in Oxford County!
Thank you to all of the organizers, participants and donors for making Great Ride 'n' Stride in Oxford County such a huge success. The four events, Tillsonburg, Norwich, Blandford-Blenheim and Thamesford raised over $16,900!!!
Relay For Life in Oxford County
Thank you to our participants, survivors, volunteers, sponsors and donors! We are thrilled to have raised over $252,000 through our three events in Tillsonburg, Woodstock and Ingersoll as we continue in our fight against cancer!
At the Canadian Cancer Society, we:
Stop cancer before it starts.
Stop cancer in its tracks.
Help those with cancer now.
In 2015, with your generous support, the Canadian Cancer Society Oxford Community Office:
Raised $604,742, which goes toward our mission of eradicating cancer and enhancing the quality of life of those living with cancer.
- 39 volunteer drivers drove over 70,295 km and completed 1,222 client trips.
Society drivers assisted 90 clients with rides to cancer related appointments.
12 families were assisted by our family-provided transportation assistance program.
11 peer support volunteers provided assistance to 14 clients, 6 group support facilitators provided support to 2 breast cancer support groups and 1 prostate cancer support group.
The generosity of our donors allow us to continue fighting back against cancer in our community and across Ontario. You fund research that is saving lives.
- Over $785,000 was invested in 9 cancer research projects in SW Ontario, specifically at the University of Western Ontario, University of Windsor & the Lawson Research Institute.
- Through its funding of the NCIC Clinical Trials Group, we supported 21 clinical trials in SW Ontario at the London Regional Cancer Program & the Windsor Regional Cancer Centre. These trials ensure that cancer patients in our community have access to the very best cancer care and can benefit from new research discoveries.
- Thanks to research, we been able to dramatically improve the 5-year survival rate from 25% in 1947 to over 60% today.
You support Ontarians through their cancer journey:
- Cancer Information Service provided answers to questions about all types of cancer and many other cancer-related topics to over 210 local people through our confidential, toll-free line @ 1-888-939-3333 in 2014. Information is also available online 24/7 at www.cancer.ca
- CancerConnection.ca provides 24/7 support from an online community of people living with cancer and their family and friends. More than 8,500 patients, caregivers, survivors and their families connected last year.
- Smokers’ Helpline offered support, advice and information to people about quitting tobacco use in 2014. Toll-free 1-877-513-5333 or www.smokershelpline.ca
- Brochures and Booklets on prevention, treatment and support are available for download from cancer.ca/publications or can be ordered through our toll-free number.
- Community Services Locator is a searchable directory of over 4,000 cancer-related services across Canada. cancer.ca/csl. For example in Oxford County, prosthetics are available at no charge.
- Cancer.ca offers up-to-date and credible information about many types of cancer and cancer-related information from prevention to end-of-life issues.