Stay in the know and like us on Facebook
Oxford County Community Office
65 Springbank Ave N Unit 3
Hours of operation:
Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Serving the communities in Oxford County including:
Bright, Burgessville, Drumbo, Embro, Ingersoll, Innerkip, Norwich, Otterville, Plattsville, Princeton, Sweaburg, Tavistock, Thamesford, Tillsonburg and Woodstock.
- Social Media
News and announcements
Daffodil Dash Woodstock (Formerly known as Cool Runnings Trail Race)
The Canadian Cancer Society Oxford County Community Office is excited to present Daffodil Dash (formerly Cool Runnings) a competitive 10K and 5K trail race, and Kid Fun-Run to raise funds to fight cancer. The event will take place on Saturday, October 20, 2018.
This mixed surface trail race, designed by experienced runners, will challenge you and your ability to have fun in the face of a challenge! Whether you are an experienced runner or have never raced before this beautiful trail race in the midst of Autumn is for you! The Daffodil Dash promotes health, celebrates life, and brings together a community of people who want to raise funds to #JoinTheFight against cancer.
For more information or to sign up for the race please visit www.cancer.ca/daffodildashwoodstock.
Each April, the Canadian Cancer Society celebrates Daffodil Month. It’s an opportunity for Canadians to support those who are currently fighting the disease, honour those who have lost their fight, fund world-class research and learn about cancer risk reduction. We are the largest national charitable funder of cancer research and childhood cancer research in Canada. In fact, the CCS has more impact, against more cancers, in more communities than any other charity in Canada.
Thank you to our volunteers and our generous donors we raised over $93,000.00 during Daffodil Month through our Door-to-Door Campaign, Daffodil Street Sales, Daffodil Pin Point of Sale Boxes and our Great Ride 'n' Stride events.
Relay For Life in Oxford County
Cancer changes everything. So can you. Walk to fund vital support services and Canada's most promising cancer research.
Thank you for joining us and supporting the ones you love on Friday, June 8th. Over $131,000.00 was raised thanks to our generous sponsors, participants and volunteers.
Next year marks the 20th year of Relay For Life in Woodstock. Be sure to mark your calendars for Friday, June 14th, 2019 as it is sure to an incredible event.
Spring Yard Cleanup For Cancer
For the 9th year, the Spring Yard Clean Up for cancer has done the hard labour of yard work (sweeping, rolling lawns, trimming hedges and mulching flowerbeds) to create a world where no Canadian fears cancer, and 2018 was a record-breaking year. With the help of sponsors, donors, and more than 100 volunteers, over $260,000.00 was raised in April, bringing their 9-year total to over $695,000.00. Once again, the team was able to choose the research grant that they would fund. This year the funds raised have been designated by the team to fund leukemia research by Dr. Mick Bhatia and the team toured his lab in May. To see more of what this incredible team does visit their Facebook page.
Norwich Car Wash
The 28th annual Norwich Car Wash took place on Saturday, May 5, 2018. They raised an incredible $11,195.00, bringing their 28 year total to $150,350.50.
Consider becoming a Cancer Fighter by hosting your own fundraiser. You pick the fundraiser - Golf Tournament, sporting event, head shaving/hair cutting, concert, bake sale or your own creative idea - we'll help you make it happen! Contact our Community Office at 519-537-5592 or email@example.com for more information or visit www.cancer.ca/fundraise to get started.
OUR FIGHT FOR LIFE IN OXFORD COUNTY
The generosity of our donors allow us to continue fighting back against cancer in our community and across Ontario. You fund research that is saving lives.
- Over $785,000 was invested in 9 cancer research projects in SW Ontario, specifically at the University of Western Ontario, University of Windsor & the Lawson Research Institute.
- Through its funding of the NCIC Clinical Trials Group, we supported 21 clinical trials in SW Ontario at the London Regional Cancer Program & the Windsor Regional Cancer Centre. These trials ensure that cancer patients in our community have access to the very best cancer care and can benefit from new research discoveries.
- Thanks to research, we been able to dramatically improve the 5-year survival rate from 25% in 1947 to over 60% today.
You support Ontarians through their cancer journey:
- Cancer Information Service provided answers to questions about all types of cancer and many other cancer-related topics to over 210 local people through our confidential, toll-free line @ 1-888-939-3333 in 2014. Information is also available online 24/7 at www.cancer.ca
- CancerConnection.ca provides 24/7 support from an online community of people living with cancer and their family and friends. More than 8,500 patients, caregivers, survivors and their families connected last year.
- Smokers’ Helpline offered support, advice and information to people about quitting tobacco use in 2014. Toll-free 1-877-513-5333 or www.smokershelpline.ca
- Brochures and Booklets on prevention, treatment and support are available for download from cancer.ca/publications or can be ordered through our toll-free number.
- Community Services Locator is a searchable directory of over 4,000 cancer-related services across Canada. cancer.ca/csl. For example in Oxford County, prosthetics are available at no charge.
- Cancer.ca offers up-to-date and credible information about many types of cancer and cancer-related information from prevention to end-of-life issues.
- Wheels of Hope, one of the largest volunteer-provided programs in North America, provided more than 69,000 trips for 15,000 patients (including over 4000 brand new patients) to attend 104,800 cancer related appointments.
With your support we help residents of Oxford counties throughout their cancer journey. Volunteering with the Society is a great opportunity for you to make a positive impact in your community, be part of a team, share your experience, learn new skills and develop lasting friendships. Volunteers are critical to our accomplishments and we wouldn't be able to support, inform and empower those touched by cancer without you.
When you join our nationwide team, you have the combined strength of volunteers from across the country standing behind you to help you make a difference in someone's life. Together we are much stronger than any of us are alone. Come and join the fight against cancer by volunteering with us! We are currently recruiting for the following volunteer roles (training is provided for all roles):
Volunteer Drivers - Wheels Of Hope Program
The road to recovery needs more drivers … with the kindness and support of volunteer drivers, cancer patients only need to worry about getting better and beating cancer for good. As a volunteer driver, you’ll pick patients up from their home and take them to their attending hospital or regional cancer centre. You’ll be there to offer friendly support and kindness at a time when they need it the most. And when their treatment is done, you'll make sure they get home. You can drive as suits your schedule, from Monday to Friday. Training, support and mileage reimbursement is provided. Daytime availability is required.
Public Issue Advocates
We are looking for volunteers to connect with our local government officials (MP, MPP, Mayor/Reeve/Warden) to advocate for healthy policy development, to help implement policies and bills that will alleviate some of the hazards that may have a direct correlation to a cancer diagnosis. In this role, the activities involve: phone calls, meetings, emails, letter writing, networking, attending candidate debates. Daytime availability is required.
Our volunteers help educate our community on how they can prevent cancer from occurring through simple lifestyle changes. Activities can include working displays at attending health shows, fairs, information nights etc., as well as giving presentations to community service groups, workplaces and schools. Day time, as well as periodic weekend availability required.
To find out more about any of these volunteer opportunities please contact us at: 519-537-5592 or 1-877-577-7797 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also fill out the Volunteer Application Form online!
CommitteesRelay For Life Committee Members
- if you want to make a difference in the fight against cancer and help those in your community living with cancer, consider joining the Relay For Life Committee in Woodstock. Whether it's the planning stages, set-up, event day or clean-up...an hour a week or an hour a month, we have a number of areas we could use your help! For more information, please contact Hailey Parliament, Community Fundraising Specialist at email@example.com or call 519-537-5592.
Cool Runnings Trail Race - volunteers are needed to assist with planning on the committee or marshalling, parking, registration, food and set-up/clean-up on event day. If you are interested in volunteering for this fun October event, contact Hailey Parliament at firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-537-5592.
Sign up for Volunteer opportunities online, any time at: http://vhub.at/OxfordCounty