Huron-Perth Community Office
Hours of operation: Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Serving the communities of:
Stratford, Clinton, Exeter, Goderich, Seaforth, Wingham, Listowel, Mitchell, St. Marys and surrounding townships.
News and announcements
Come join us for our 3rd Annual Neon Night FUN 5K Run/Walk in support of Childhood Cancer Research!
When: Friday, September 7th 7:30-9:30pm
Start/Finish Location: Domino's Pizza, 406 Ontario St, Stratford
Neon Night is a 5 km non-competitive fun run/walk for all ages and abilities, that takes place at night.
Participants are encouraged to wear their brightest running/walking gear to help illuminate the night all in the fight against childhood cancer. After signing in on event day, join us for a Pre-run fun with face painting and so much more!
Registration opens - 7:30 p.m.
Opening Ceremonies and Warm-up - 7:45 p.m.
5K Fun Run/Walk starts - 8:00 p.m.
The route will be glowing with fun as participants all decked out in neon walk/run through the beautiful streets of Stratford.
Register at www.cancer.ca/NeonNightStratford
Adult Rate - $25 pre-event ($30 day of the event)
Child Rate - $10 (15 years and under)*
Family Rate - $55 (2 adults and up to 2 children) ($65 day of event)
Participants receive a Neon Night Medallion and a Glow Item.
Thank you to our Huron-Perth Community for another successful RELAY season in 2018! With events held in Stratford, Listowel and Goderich in June, over $220,000 was raised - promising cancer research, community support services and other important work so that fewer Canadians are touched by cancer!|
Thank you to our Huron-Perth Community for supporting Daffodil Month in April 2018. Over $59,000 was raised with our Daffodil Pin Street Sales, Daffodil Pin Point of Sale Boxes, Residential Canvassing and our School & Workplace Campaign. Thank you to our passionate and dedicated Daffodil Month volunteers. Because of your efforts, we’re having the most impact, against the most cancers, in the most communities. You are our greatest asset!
THANK YOU MILVERTON FIGHTS BACK!! 15 years and still going strong! Huge thank you to Mike & Bev Carter and their organizing committee for another successful Cancer Campaign in Milverton June 11th weekend! Unofficially, this hometown community has raised over $23,300 and counting! Their amazing efforts come from their Silent Auction, donations, head shaves, ball tournaments, balloon tribute and MUCH MORE of months leading up to this momentous event!
Meet Mick Clarke. This pre-teen from Mitchell has been donating to our cause since he has been 5! He participates in Kids Derbies throughout the year; raising awareness and funds for Breast Cancer, a disease that is very close to his family. He just finished the Clinton Derby and came in to donate $215 to Stratford Relay Up All Night For The Fight Team! We LOVE him and his BIG HEART!
Meet a few of our AMAZING volunteers! Here is Jane, Barb and Dan all giving a helping hand in our BUSY Relay season at the office. We cannot do the work we do without the love and support from ALL of our wonderful volunteers give us to help make our events the success they are! THANK YOU!!
Thank you to Marlene Foreman, committee organizer for the Taking Steps Against Breast Cancer Walk in St. Marys. Their spring fundraiser was held at Stone Willow Inn, West Lawn Marquee On Friday, May 225th, raising over $1,000 for their September 28th walk.
Meet Colin McEwin. This is Colin's 2nd year at shaving his blond locks for Childhood Cancer. In April, he raised $1,850 and in 2 years has raised over $3,000 for this amazing cause! THANK YOU!!
Thank you to Stratford Scotiabank Wright Blvd employees to helped raise $2,000 to our Pigs of Hope Campaign!
YOU CAN ALSO JOIN OUR DEDICATED TEAM OF CANCER FIGHTERS BY HOSTING YOUR OWN FUNDRAISER! You choose the idea and we will help make it a success!
Contact us or check out www.cancer.ca/fundraise for more information. Event ideas include golf tournaments, head shave events, galas, sporting events, you name it!
Our Fight For Life in Huron-Perth
With the support of our generous donors, we are fighting back against cancer in our community and across Ontario.
You fund research that is saving lives
- Over $785,000 was invested in 9 cancer research projects in SW Ontario, specifically at the University of Western Ontario, University of Windsor & the Lawson Research Institute.
- Through its funding of the NCIC Clinical Trials Group, we supported 21 clinical trials in SW Ontario at the London Regional Cancer Program & the Windsor Regional Cancer Centre. These trials ensure that cancer patients in our community have access to the very best cancer care and can benefit from new research discoveries.
- Thanks to research, we been able to dramatically improve the 5-year survival rate from 25% in 1947 to over 60% today.
You support Ontarians through their cancer journey
- Cancer Information Service provided answers to questions about all types of cancer and many other cancer-related topics to over 200 local people through our confidential, toll-free line @ 1-888-939-3333 in 2015. Information is also available online 24/7 at www.cancer.ca
- CancerConnection.ca provides 24/7 support from an online community of people living with cancer and their family and friends. More than 12,500 patients, caregivers, survivors and their families connected last year.
- Smokers’ Helpline offered support, advice and information to 153 local people about quitting tobacco use in 2014. Toll-free 1-877-513-5333 or www.smokershelpline.ca
- Peer Support Service helped 17 local people last year who were diagnosed with cancer, or their caregivers, were connected to volunteers who’ve had cancer or cared for a loved one with cancer. Huron & Perth counties had 8 local Peer Support volunteers helping people across Canada.
- Wheels of Hope in 2015 had 68 volunteer drivers travel 133,037 km, providing 1,395 safe rides for cancer-related appointments for 139 local people diagnosed with cancer. We also provided assistance to 11 local families for 350 trips to their child's cancer-related appointments.
- Brochures and Booklets on prevention, treatment and support are available for download from cancer.ca/publications or can be ordered through our toll-free number.
- Community Services Locator is a searchable directory of over 4,000 cancer-related services across Canada. cancer.ca/csl. For example in Huron-Perth, prosthetics are available at no charge.
- Cancer.ca offers up-to-date and credible information about many types of cancer and cancer-related information from prevention to end-of-life issues.
For more information on any of our upcoming events or to learn how to join the fight against cancer, call us at 1-800-294-0086 or email us email@example.com
With your support we help residents of Huron and Perth counties throughout their cancer journey. Volunteering with the Society is a great opportunity for you to make a positive impact in your community, be part of a team, share your experience, learn new skills and develop lasting friendships. Volunteers are critical to our accomplishments and we wouldn't be able to support, inform and empower those touched by cancer without you.
When you join our nationwide team, you have the combined strength of volunteers from across the country standing behind you to help you make a difference in someone's life. Together we are much stronger than any of us are alone. Come and join the fight against cancer by volunteering with us! We are currently recruiting for the following volunteer roles (training is provided for all roles):
We are looking for volunteers to assist with the day-to-day office administrative duties. The responsibilities of this position range from reception, data entry and general administrative. This position requires computer skills, a comfort working with the public and talking on the phone.
Volunteer drivers - Wheels Of Hope program
The road to recovery needs more drivers … with the kindness and support of volunteer drivers, cancer patients only need to worry about getting better and beating cancer for good. As a volunteer driver, you’ll pick patients up from their home and take them to their attending hospital or regional cancer centre. You’ll be there to offer friendly support and kindness at a time when they need it the most. And when their treatment is done, you'll make sure they get home. You can drive as suits your schedule, from Monday to Friday. Training, support and mileage reimbursement is provided. Daytime availability is required.
Public Issue advocates
We are looking for volunteers to connect with our local government officials (MP, MPP, Mayor/Reeve/Warden) to advocate for healthy policy development, to help implement policies and bills that will alleviate some of the hazards that may have a direct correlation to a cancer diagnosis. In this role, the activities involve: phone calls, meetings, emails, letter writing, networking, attending candidate debates. Daytime availability is required.
Our volunteers help educate our community on how they can prevent cancer from occurring through simple lifestyle changes. Activities can include working displays at attending health shows, fairs, information nights etc., as well as giving presentations to community service groups, workplaces and schools. Day time, as well as periodic weekend availability required.
Residential canvassers NEEDED
You can make an impact against cancer by giving just three hours of your time in the month of April. Our residential canvassers act as ambassadors for the Society as they canvass their local neighbourhood to help secure donations for lifesaving cancer research. They are able to provide a receipt instantly for donations of cash or cheque. This campaign takes place in all of our local communities for the entire month of April.
Volunteer pin sellers needed
This April, by volunteering just a few hours of your time to sell Daffodil Pins in support of our Daffodil Month campaign, you will be saving lives and helping people who are living with cancer.
Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Volunteer Pin Sellers Needed
This October, by volunteering just a few hours of your time to sell Pink Ribbon Pins in support of our Breast Cancer Awareness campaign, you will helping fund world-class breast cancer research and helping those living with breast cancer.
Relay For Life committee members - if you want to make a difference in the fight against cancer and help those in your community living with cancer, consider joining one of our Relay For Life Committees. Whether it's the planning stages, set-up, event day or clean-up...an hour a week or an hour a month, we have a number of areas we could use your help!
Neon Nights 5K FUN Walk/Run (Childhood cancer research) - volunteers are needed to assist with the event planning, marshalling, parking, registration, food and set-up/clean-up.
Taking Steps Against Breast Cancer Walk - if you want to make a difference in the fight against breast cancer and help those in your community living with breast cancer, consider joining one of our committees. Whether it's the planning stages, set-up, event day or clean-up...an hour a week or an hour a month, we have a number of areas we could use your help!
To find out more about any of these volunteer opportunities please contact us at: 519-271-4270 or 1-800-294-0086 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also fill out the Volunteer Application Form online!