The Canadian Cancer Society Huron-Perth Community Office proudly presents our first annual Neon Night 5K. This exciting, new fundraising event provides a vibrant and luminous way for friends and family to have fun together while promoting good health, happiness and community giving.
Neon Night 5K is a non-competitive 5K evening walk or run that has participants electrified with excitement. Ignite the night by sporting your neons, glow sticks and energy along our riverside trail.
Funds raised through our Neon Nights event will help to fund childhood cancer research as well as our Wheels of Hope transportation program.
Click on the link Neon Nights Stratford to register today.
2016 Relay For Life
Relay For Life was held in Stratford, Listowel and Goderich on 3 separate weekends in June 2016. Our community teamwork raised OVER $220,000 for cancer research and support services.
From our staff, along with our wonderful volunteers, donors and participants that is enough to fund:
- 2 life-saving cancer research projects for a year
- 1 clinical trial to test a life-saving new treatment
- 5 peer-to-peer support matches
- and 100 rides for Wheels of Hope
AMAZING!! THANK YOU!!
Thank you to St. Marys Kinettes for the $1,500 donation from their 20th Annual Spring Auction.
3 co-chairs of this year's event are: Wendy Lamond, Kelly Wiffen & Lisa McEwan.
Pictured are Faith Vito and Erica Weller who raised over $391 for a friend battling cancer at their school, St. Aloysius Catholic Elementary School in Stratford in April.
Cops for Cancer took place on Thurs Apr 21st with 16 Stratford Police Officers committing to shave their heads by raising awareness for cancer support services. Grateful to Matt Peck for organizing this event with his peers as they raised OVER $9700!! A special thanks to Louise Akroyd and her staff for donating their services to these wonderful men and women!
Thank you to Camp Out RV for donating $1000 from their April RV Show Sales! We grateful to Debbi Parks and her amazing staff to be a annual supporter of CCS!
We were grateful to be the recipient of Colin McEwin's head shave efforts in April. Colin raised $1700 for Childhood Cancers. It took him months to grow his blond locks to have cut and shaved off by loving family and friends! Special thanks to Beth and Salon 5010 for hosting this beautiful event!
Artist Janet Bridgewater designs jewelry to inspire cancer survivors. The intent of her latest design was to use the Canadian Cancer Society symbol of a daffodil to serve as an inspiration. With help from the Huron-Perth Office, she partnered with Jeff Iacobellis, owner and jewelry designer of Swansons Jewellers in Stratford to bring her drawings to life. Jeff graciously offered to make the one-of-a-kind set and sell it with 100% of the proceeds going to the Canadian Cancer Society. The jewelry is made of 14 carat yellow and rose gold with genuine pearls in each piece. The ring and pendant also feature blue topaz and citrine gemstones. The jewelry will be sold as a set for $5,000. Grateful to be the recipient of this beautiful sale!
YOU CAN ALSO JOIN OUR DEDICATED TEAM OF CANCER FIGHTERS BY HOSTING YOUR OWN FUNDRAISER! You choose the idea and we will help make it a success!
Contact us or check out www.cancer.ca/fundraise for more information. Event ideas include golf tournaments, head shave events, galas, sporting events, you name it!
OUR FIGHT FOR LIFE IN HURON-PERTH
With the support of our generous donors, we are fighting back against cancer in our community and across Ontario.
You fund research that is saving lives
- Over $785,000 was invested in 9 cancer research projects in SW Ontario, specifically at the University of Western Ontario, University of Windsor & the Lawson Research Institute.
- Through its funding of the NCIC Clinical Trials Group, we supported 21 clinical trials in SW Ontario at the London Regional Cancer Program & the Windsor Regional Cancer Centre. These trials ensure that cancer patients in our community have access to the very best cancer care and can benefit from new research discoveries.
- Thanks to research, we been able to dramatically improve the 5-year survival rate from 25% in 1947 to over 60% today.
You support Ontarians through their cancer journey
- Cancer Information Service provided answers to questions about all types of cancer and many other cancer-related topics to over 200 local people through our confidential, toll-free line @ 1-888-939-3333 in 2015. Information is also available online 24/7 at www.cancer.ca
- CancerConnection.ca provides 24/7 support from an online community of people living with cancer and their family and friends. More than 12,500 patients, caregivers, survivors and their families connected last year.
- Smokers’ Helpline offered support, advice and information to 153 local people about quitting tobacco use in 2014. Toll-free 1-877-513-5333 or www.smokershelpline.ca
- Peer Support Service helped 17 local people last year who were diagnosed with cancer, or their caregivers, were connected to volunteers who’ve had cancer or cared for a loved one with cancer. Huron & Perth counties had 8 local Peer Support volunteers helping people across Canada.
- Wheels of Hope in 2014 had 68 volunteer drivers travel 133,037 km, providing 1,395 safe rides for cancer-related appointments for 139 local people diagnosed with cancer. We also provided assistance to 11 local families for 350 trips to their child's cancer-related appointments.
- Brochures and Booklets on prevention, treatment and support are available for download from cancer.ca/publications or can be ordered through our toll-free number.
- Community Services Locator is a searchable directory of over 4,000 cancer-related services across Canada. cancer.ca/csl. For example in Huron-Perth, prosthetics are available at no charge.
- Cancer.ca offers up-to-date and credible information about many types of cancer and cancer-related information from prevention to end-of-life issues.
For more information on any of our upcoming events or to learn how to join the fight against cancer, call us at 1-800-294-0086 or email us firstname.lastname@example.org